Thursday, June 28, 2012

A Recipe Post: Basil Chicken

Welcome to my first recipe post.  This recipe was given to me by my friend Kelly and it is the main reason why I have to have a basil plant in my backyard each summer. I think the story goes that it was a favorite of hers from a restaurant near Hartland, Mi.  She made it for Erin and I and then I had to have the recipe.  Like most recipes I use it has most likely been altered, this is my variation of what Kelly gave me.  This recipe is not detailed so if  you are one who  needs precision in the kitchen it is not for you.  If you can create with just the basics you will love it.

To start you'll need:
Chicken Breasts  (boneless, skinless)
Fresh Basil
Fresh bread crumbs
Dijon mustard  (original recipe calls for Gray Poupon but I'm not that fancy)
Sour Cream
Miracle Whip
I can't believe I had name brands for everything.  Not a single Aldi brand here, WOW!


First mix chopped basil with your fresh bread crumbs or do as I did today and throw a few heals of bread and a handful of basil in the food processor and pulse.

Spread Dijon mustard on the chicken and cover with basil/bread crumb mixture.  I usually hold the chicken in one hand, squirt on some mustard, spread it with a spatula, place it mustard side down in the bread crumbs, squirt and spread the other side, flip, then place in the hot oiled pan.  Keeping one hand clean and just one chickeny.  I'm good like that. :)

Fry in the frying pan cooking until done.  I have some trouble flipping and removing the chicken without breading falling off so I sometimes bake it instead.  I also feel it has less fat when cooked in the oven.  I spray a baking sheet with cooking spray, place the chicken on it and spray the top of the chicken with a little more cooking spray.  Bake for about 30 minutes at 350.


To us the best part of this recipe is the dipping sauce.  If I'm feeling lazy I'll just pan fry the chicken plain and whip up the sauce.  To make it, mix together equal parts sour cream and Miracle Whip then stir in fresh chopped basil.  It tastes so fresh and delish.
I usually add simple sides like bread and a salad.  I don't make this one often but it's one of those recipes that makes my husband happy.  It makes a good "date night in" dinner because it feels fancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment