We arrived at our new home a week ago today. The boys were on spring break. The kids spent a lot of the week watching Disney channel, exploring their new backyard, and playing Wii. The truck arrived with our stuff on Wednesday. I have spent the week doing laundry and unpacking. Boy, 91 boxes of stuff is a lot. I am starting to wonder how much we really need. I am down to around 20 to go. I started reading Little House in the Big Woods to the boys last week. It is going to be a big part of our social studies curriculum. We have been noticing how little Mary and Laura had to play with and how the family didn't waste anything. The girls even played with a pigs bladder blown up like a balloon on slaughtering day. Laura's doll was a corncob wrapped in a handkerchief. How much of this stuff I'm unpacking do I really need? I look around and there are a few things I feel I can let go of but maybe I should take a harder look. Maybe I could stop being a slave to so much stuff.
With the addition of all our stuff, however, this house is feeling more like home even if this place will not for some time to come. I miss the people we left behind in Michigan most of all but finding my way around and figuring out how my life will be in this new place is also a challenge. We will look into schools for the boys to attend in the fall but in the mean time as they adjust to a new place I am homeschooling them. Finding my way around that is yet another challenge I am facing presently.
In the midst of all the unpacking, homeschooling, and general life living, here are glimpses of our new home.
Our Living room
Our front room
Our Kitchen
Our dining room
I have never had a living room so large and now I have two. We have always had tiny little bathrooms and now we have one large one upstairs and a regular size one on the main level. I may have been pulled out of my comfort zone but I have been blessed with a large home to live in and will enjoy living on the more comfortable salary of my husband. Life is hard but God is always, always good. Now, what am I going to do with those 20 more boxes of stuff?
Your home is beautiful Kelly and I can't believe how quickly you unpacked! I would still be running around in circles! I know you have hurdles to get through, like the school choice, but don't we always seem to have some type of hurdle to face? I so enjoyed spending time with you during your stay at BR and getting to know you better during Sisters-n-Stories. I know you will continue to be a blessing at whatever church God plants you! Keep blogging and FB'ing for us so we can keep in touch!
ReplyDeleteCathy Bodine
As someone who has moved several times, I can sympathize with what you're feeling right now. You seem like you are starting out with the right kind of attitude, though. I look forward to reading all about your new adventure as a family! :)
ReplyDeleteOh, Thank you for blogging about your new adventure. Kelly, you are a delight! I pray that you have fun, this week...sorting, cleaning, stretching out into your nice BIG home.
ReplyDeleteI send you love, and I look forward to reading your blog entries.
<>< Molly Ann
Hi Kelly,
ReplyDeleteYou may not know me, but I've known Erin and the family in which he grew-up for a long time. It will be enjoyable to watch as Erin and your children grow and learn. Thanks for sharing.
The blog looks great! Love the name! Your house is beautiful! Stay positive. Your attitude goes a long way for your husband and children. You're doing a wonderful job following as God leads you.
ReplyDeleteHi, Kelly! I've been on a Facebook fast for Lent, so I haven't been able to keep up with the Haven happenings, but I found my way to your blog from Jamie.
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, congratulations on Erin's new job! How wonderful! Your new house is adorable. You done a lot with it in such a short time!
Praying for God to continue to show you his faithfulness and amazing love for your family.
God bless!
Thanks Jody, I needed that tonight. You weren't late finding me, you were right on time.
ReplyDelete