Sunday, April 24, 2011

Our Easter Weekend

Several years ago Erin and I attended a Passover Seder.  We really enjoyed experiencing what Jesus' last evening was like.  For a very long time after that I would remember parts of that meal during communion and it really changed the way I took it each week.  We decided that evening that someday we would start a family tradition of celebrating Passover but our kids were young and we did not feel ready to start. 

Two years ago I was teaching 2nd and 3rd graders at Bristol Road Church of Christ and as Easter approached I felt the desire to share the Passover experience with my class.  I decided to to it the following year.  Last year Erin and I did a lot of research and put together that Passover Seder for my 2nd and 3rd grade class which  I think they enjoyed and learned from.  I know my own son learned something because when we did our first family Passover this year he remembered much of the order and symbolism from the year before.

Thursday night we prepared and participated in our first family Passover Seder.  It brought so much meaning to what Jesus did in that upper room to follow the traditions he would have been sharing with his followers.  The boys and I set the table with their Great Grandma's table cloth and my china (which my children have never eaten from before).  I made a special meal and a cake made without leaven.  JJ was sure it was her birthday and when she came down from her nap she commented over and over that, "the table is pretty, mom".
Our Passover Table


We enjoyed the time together having a leisurely meal rather than rushing through to get to clean up and on to something else.  We also spoke a lot to our children about things that matter and were glad to take the time and be intentional in doing so.  We started about 5:30 and didn't finish until after 8:00.  The main time of eating the meal is toward the end of the Seder.  JR did ask many times, "So when are we going to eat?"

Having had an unemployed husband for the last two years, days off were something we no longer thought about.  Neither of us gave a thought to the fact that Erin would have Good Friday off.  He called late Thursday afternoon to say he was on his way home because things were wrapping up and he had the next day off.  What a nice, unexpected surprise.  We spent Friday night at the Knollwood Christian Church participating in their Easter Alive event.  We were assigned the station of the the Triumphal Entry.  Erin was Jesus and we spent the evening waving palm branches and being a joyful crowd shouting things like, "Hosanna", and "Our King is here".  JD loves the dramatic and quite enjoyed the evening.  JR was mostly bored but was glad to eat goodies during our breaks.  JJ was incredibly cute as she shouted, "Hosanna, Hosanna".


The kids did a great job of being quiet Saturday morning allowing Mommy and Daddy to sleep in.  We did the egg coloring thing.  JR was our master color mixer and managed to do two of his eggs in the time it took the other kids to finish all five of theirs.  We had some gold shimmer stuff to add this year and those odd colored eggs of JR actually looked pretty good once he added the gold.  I don't know why we color the eggs anyway, they just go in the fridge until I choose to make something from them.  No one ever sees the things.  I was going to make a centerpiece out of them for Saturday dinner but I forgot.  The kids had fun anyway.
JR put each egg in at least 3 colors before it was done.

JD has learned the art of coloring eggs.

JJ like to get her eggs in and out of the color quickly.
I put together Easter baskets Saturday night and put them in the kids' rooms.  JJ's was between her bed and the door and the boy's were next to their dressers.  I actually woke up before they did this morning and listened to hear what happened.  They all made it into our room without seeing their baskets.   I even sent JR back into his room for his glasses and he didn't notice.  I told Erin that the nice thing about having unobservant kids is you don't have to try too hard to hide things.  They found the baskets after I sent them back to find them and were very excited.  JJ was concerned about the Easter Bunny being in her room.  We all had new clothes to wear this morning which was nice. 

Since we do not have family here and we do not really know very many people yet we had a fabulous Easter dinner at Dairy Queen.  The kids enjoyed that a lot too.  I did buy a ham and planned a nice dinner for the evening but decided a nap was more important so the nice ham dinner will be enjoyed on Monday.  Why not spread out the weekend a little longer?


We had a great weekend remembering our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  Experiencing a meal similar to his last.  Remembering the events of his last week.  Sadly recalling his harsh death sentence.  And rejoicing that he was not in that tomb on Sunday morning but that He Lives, He Lives, Christ Jesus Lives Today!












Had to add the sleeping baby girl.

1 comment:

  1. What a great job you and Erin did with the passover. I can't believe your kids lasted at the table for over 2 hours! I love family traditions especially ones with the True meaning of life! Your dress is very pretty and you guys all looked so nice. I admire you for diving right in to a new church! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete