Friday, August 26, 2011

Bristol Road Church of Christ: I miss my church family

There are many things I miss about the church family I left behind in Michigan. 

I miss my kids running off to class on there own excited to see their teachers and friends.  I miss hearing their teachers tell me about how one of them prayed in class or answered a certain question.  I miss the discussion and insight given by Brian and Jim in Sunday School and the fun of Brad's class.  I miss being impressed by Brad's knowledge of Church History.  I miss the sharing of prayer requests and the feeling of deep caring that could be felt as everyone shared what was on their hearts.  I miss singing the new As The Deer, Awesome God, Light the Fire, and Magnificant.  I miss my littlest bouncing to the pew behind us to visit with the Allens and the attention and love they gave to her.  I miss the goofy things Mike sometimes said and how he made everyone feel welcome.  I really miss Hearing Brian and Brad and sometimes even Craig preach interesting and meaningful sermons.  I miss visiting with Lisa and Debbie or Katrina or Sue or so many others before and after services.

I miss our small group. I miss how well the kids played and how well they got along.  I miss seeing the projects they did or hearing the stories of what they played.  I miss seeing and hearing first hand what the Spencer girls were learning in school and being amazed. (Thanks, the blog helps.)  I miss the banter between Clint and Jaime.  I miss eating and sharing and bouncing ideas off each other.  I miss staying too long and rushing to get kids to bed.

I miss Wednesday nights.  I miss the amazing things the PEAK team put together and being sad that I didn't get to participate in them because I was teaching.  I miss teaching.  I know I didn't have a fabulous lesson planned each week but I miss the satisfaction and pride when I knew I had a good one.  I miss seeing Mary in class each week, sharing my week with her and knowing she would listen and give me wise council.  I miss Connie's wit giving me reason to chuckle.  I miss the occasional words of encouragement from parents or grandparents telling me I was doing a good job or that their child enjoyed my class.

For nearly 10 years I was in that building twice a month during the school year for MOPS.  I miss chit chatting with Tiffany for a few minutes before going down to the meetings.  I miss seeing Brad or Craig in the hall and having them interact with my little one(s).  I miss the comfort of feeling like I belonged there and eating a breakfast without someone asking if they could have part of it.

 I miss the many woman who had become my mentors and friends.  I miss going in to church and seeing the faces of people who I knew cared about me and my family.

We spent many weeks and months talking about what a church is and should be.  Talking about community.  I miss the community of the Bristol Road Church of Christ.

4 comments:

  1. Kelly, I just prayed that you and Erin would find a church family that will love you and that you all will love back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,
    I am Serenity's mom and I can understand the grief associated with leaving a community of believers that have become a real family. I will pray honey for a place that you will be able to call home soon.
    God Bless
    Jill Roper
    http://gratituesday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, It's been hard and some days are harder than others. I hope to feel settled somewhere soon. I it won't be the same but it can be just as good.

    ReplyDelete