Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Havens "on Tour"

The last 10 days we Havens have been "on tour" as one of my high school friends put it.  I put out on Face Book a few weeks back that I would be in Michigan and Indiana and tried to spend time with everyone who said they'd like to visit with us.  Here's how our week and a half went.

Friday morning we got up and ate a hurried breakfast so we could get to the Minneapolis airport in plenty of time.  I was nervous to fly with the kids by myself.  Erin dropped us off and we got through security and to our gate with no trouble.  The kids were great as we walked forever to get to our tiny gate a million miles from where we went through security.  We had extra time so we chilled for a bit at TGIFridays and got a little something to supplement that hurried breakfast.  After we got to the gate and had one last potty break, I looked around and thought, "No wonder this place is so small, who flies to Flint?  Wouldn't it be weird if someone we know is on the flight?"  And someone we know was on our flight.  The Strengs made a connecting flight in Minneapolis heading also to Flint.  Just what I needed to calm my nerves, a familiar face.
JJ and I sat on one side of the plane.  She liked  the window seat.

JD and JR sat across the aisle.  They traded seats so each got a window view.
We arrived in Flint and were greeted by Grandma Pointer and our friend Margaret who helped with the kids while I waited in line forever to get our rental car.  It was full of features we found to be a luxury.  I was very spoiled.  I loved the color too.

We went to Meijer to get some items I couldn't fly with.  JJ was pleased to once again ride "Sandy".

At Meijer a horse ride is still only a penny!
On Saturday we spent some time with our friends, the Spencers.  They fed us a yummy lunch, the kids had fun playing and I had fun playing a round of Settlers of Catan with friends.  We were pretty tired when we returned to Grandma's house.  It was day #3 of no nap for JJ.  We relaxed and then went to see Cars 2 and picked up pizza for supper.

On Sunday it was great to return to BRCofC.  As my friend Marcy says, it is a Church family that is irreplaceable.  We both know moving away from such a place creates a void that is hard to fill.  It was so nice to see how much we are missed and once again feel the love of the people we left behind.  It was also nice that our trip coincided with Marcy's and I got to visit with her.

We ate lunch and visited with friends at an open house for one of the teens from Church and then it was time for JD to head to camp.
JD's camp counselor was Chris Bowman, a family friend.

How nice that JD got to be at camp with his best buddies from Madison Academy.
On Monday the remaining four Haven's hit the road again.  Erin headed out to Arizona for work.  He was supposed to be the first of his group to arrive but due to mechanical difficulties on his first flight he ended up being the last to arrive.  It was a long day for him.  JR, JJ and I headed down to Indiana.  We ate lunch with my sister and I was able to meet my new nephew.  Later that evening my little ones went to VBS at EGCofC.

JJ holding her newest cousin

JJ and LA playing dress up.
JJ practicing for the VBS play.
JR writing about something God has helped him with for the God Wall.
On Tuesday we went up to the Bourbon Park to meet up with two of my High school friends.  It was nice to catch up with them both but especially with Christina who I hadn't seen since we graduated  from high school.  How nice to have time together again and meet each other's children.
JR and JJ at the Bourbon splash pad.
Wednesday we hit the road again.  We headed to Angola, In. to drop off JR and LA for day camp at the camp I grew up attending.
Then we met my brother and his family for lunch at Applebees.  It was cousin time for five of the six youngest Walter family cousins.
Me with my youngest niece and nephew.
JR would be picked up from camp later and stay a few days with Grandma and Grandpa. JJ and I headed up to Michigan to meet JD for family night at camp. Then we stayed the night with some of our good friends, the Palmores.
JJ eating a corn dog at the family night carnival.

JD at camp.

JJ eating the pink cotton candy she badly wanted.
Thursday JJ and I visited some of our other good friends, the Bellers.  We had Jet's Pizza for lunch, yummy.  It was a very nice visit.  We had to cut it shorter than we would have liked because JJ was very short on naps for the week and was getting too tired and whiny.  A nap had to be had on Thursday.
JJ and SB
Lisa and her brother, Daniel spoiled us with a delicious dinner. We took a walk and then Lisa and I had a late chick flick night.  It was a lot of fun.
JJ and MP on a walk.

Friday was our last day in Michigan.  JJ and I returned our rented van and were picked up by Grandma Pointer.  I did some bargain hunting at Kroger and picked up Dawn Donuts for Erin before we headed out to camp to pick up JD.  The three of us hitched a ride to Indiana.
JD all worn out from a full week of camp.
Saturday the family was reunited again.  It was so nice to have us all back together.  Shortly after Erin arrived in Indiana we headed out to my cousin Megin's home for a cousin picnic.  Not all were there but it was nice to get together with those who were able to come.
Me, Lisa, JJ, RW

The kids loved the trampoline and sprinkler.
Sunday evening we went to the Bremen Fireman's Festival to watch fireworks.  We took along popcorn and enjoyed the sights.
Ready for church.

Waiting and eating

Popcorn everywhere.
Monday was Independence Day.  We went to Nappanee for a little parade and back to Kim's.  We relaxed and the kids spent some time playing at the park and splash pad.
JJ and LA all dressed up in red, white, and blue.

What a happy bunch.

A small parade but we still got plenty of candy tossed our way.

The highlight of the parade.
WW2 era fighters flying over the Napanee, IN 4th parade.
Tuesday we headed home.  Our tour over but ready to sleep in our own beds and be done with suitcases, packing, and repacking for awhile.
If we have to travel for many hours at least the bulk of the trip is the beautiful, Wisconsin farmland.
  I can't wait to see how it looks in the fall.

Carr Valley Cheese.

A for fun stop along the way.

Dinner at a new family favorite, Culver's.
There's one at just about every Wisconsin exit.

The bib says it all.
Home again.  We are spending a day unpacking and relaxing.  It was very nice to see so many friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment